Thursday, April 17, 2008

CNN on mobile phone?

Yes! Is'nt that Andrew Stevens? CNN Hong Kong?

When I first came to this country, one of the most evident influence of technology in South Korea's culture is the use of mobile phones. When you roam around Seoul, you can seldom find a person without it. As I stayed in this country, I also witness the swift evolution of this very useful mobile handset. After the short popularity of mobile pagers, cellular phones took over, and within a short period of time, Korea now produces/uses one of the most sophisticated models in the world.
In 2005, While Europe and the U.S. are trying to sort out technology standards and spectrum availability for mobile TV, a digitally advanced South Korea is watching soap operas, sitcoms, and news programs on the go. Some 7 million consumers (or one in every seven residents) regularly watch mobile TV programming just two years after Korea became the world's first country to broadcast such content to cell phones. Pretty soon, phones doubling as TVs will be as ubiquitous as camera phones now.
Indeed, the small cell-phone screen hasn't hampered mobile TV's spread in Korea. Fast technological progress has improved the quality of the video. And although more than half of mobile TV viewers use handsets, a growing number of people are watching programs through personal multimedia players, music players, handheld PCs, and increasingly, navigation systems mounted on cars.

To experience this techno-cultural wave, I decided to acquire a DMB capable mobile phone. For me, it is not an easy thing to decide. Buying a new phone means throwing away my old one. This phone will be my 4th mobile phone in Korea. All of the past 3

handsets have thier own different story, but have something in common- all of them are second-hand (slightly used) phones, lols.... The first one was changed because nobody will dare to show it on public places like on subways coz it is already considered antique. I can even remember that Im always setting it to vibrate mode for incomming calls because Im embarrassed of its monophonic ringtune. Almost all cells at that time uses 3D melodies and musics. The second one simply ceased to function maybe because of age, and the last one have already dived into the toilet bowl one time, he he he...

Samsung Anycall SCH-B750 got my power. It has a 3 Megapixel camera, Bluetooth ready, video/music player, and DBM phone. Mobile TV is very significant to me especially when travelling alone.It is an effective time killer on the subway, or when waiting for someone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certainly. And I have faced it. Let's discuss this question.

Anonymous said...

Lost labour.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely with you it agree. It seems to me it is very excellent idea. Completely with you I will agree.

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you commit an error. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM.